Saturday, July 19, 2008
Are YOU Worth My Time? Take The Test!
Answer these True/False questions to see if it is worth my time to debate you. An answer of True (T) gets (1) point, False (F) (0) zero points. Tally your points and read the bottom to see if you are worth my time.
1) We don't know what caused X, therefore B caused X. T/F
2) Person A believes Z. Person A is really smart, a genius in fact, therefore, Z is True. T/F
3) Event X has happened, therefore Y will certainly happen. T/F
4) Personal experience G defies all logic and common sense. But, because it happened to ME, everyone should accept G as fact. T/F
5) In order to believe W, you need to have faith in W. In order to have faith in W, you need to believe W. T/F
6) The Police accused suspect D of stealing a TV. There is no other evidence, or witnesses. It is up to D to prove that he didn't steal it. T/F
7) Jane is dead or she is alive. Jane is not dead. Therefore Jane is alive. T/F
8) Sparky the dog, stole a piece of meat from the BBQ. Sparky should be burned alive as punishment. T/F
9) Entropy increases disorder, therefore order cannot increase. T/F
10) Jack has been holding a grudge for 60 years against his neighbor, who stole his scissors, worth $1. Jack forgave his grand daughter for stealing and spending $6,000 of his money last week. Jack is a forgiving person. T/F
OK, tally up your points. For every (T) you get one point, for every (F) you get none.
If you got a 10, congratulations, you are not worth my time!
If you got a ZERO, we should talk!
(Adapted from http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/)